Monday, September 20, 2010

Change

For my uncle's Raya open house today, I chose to wear a black kebaya top with a green themed kain (cloth) tied in what they called as 'pario' style. The cloth is essentially a long piece tied around the waist and kept in its place using one brooch. I then opted to complete the look by wearing my new high white heels and a simple green necklace as accessory.

I've seen girls wearing this type of fashion before. So it shouldn't be a big deal.

What I forgot was the fact that I'm pretty known for my lackadaisical attitude when it comes to dressing.

My next door neighbour saw me as I was about to enter my car and commented to my mother, "Now, that's a change. I've never seen her in a formal kebaya attire".

My mother replied "Well, it's time for her to change and start dressing herself better!".

I was aghast at both my neighbour's comment and Mom's subsequent reply. Alright, I admit that my idea of fashion is anything comfortable which usually translates to a pair of shorts and a tee-like top. But when the occasion calls for it, I do dress myself up. Perhaps my clothes were not able to match other girls' trendier styles but the point is, I do try to present myself a lil better.

And even my male cousins had the audacity to comment, upon looking at my new white heels, that they never thought I would be one to wear those kind of shoes. Hmm...it's as if even though I share the same gender as their wives/girlfriends, I am somehow constantly the one not caught by fashion demands. I could only look at them and say with all the patience I could muster, that I do have a collection of heels. It's only a matter of occasion or choice in me deciding to wear what I'm wearing at the moment.


With my cousin, the birthday girl.


With my second cousins who must have been surprised by my attire tonight. To their credit though, they did not say anything

Anyway, I do not know whether the change in my personal style was influenced by the fact that I'm getting 'younger' by the year or simply a need to change what others have grown to be accustomed to. Change is good, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment