And now I know. At least, part of it.
Syazana suddenly sms-ed me out of the blue and asked for my birth time. Knowing my family's affinity for astrology readings and the likes, I knew what she was trying to do. It must have something to do with online readings which we occasionally indulge ourselves with.
What I didn't expect was that she actually went to meet a Korean fortune teller and read my fortune without my knowledge or permission! Well, she paid for the services but imagine your own sister knowing more about your fortune than yourself. That's harrowing, to say the least. As I told her indignantly, "We were supposed to do that when I visit you in Korea next year!". But if you don't know my sister (and most of you don't, whoever you are), she must be one of the most incorrigible beings to be born into this world. Despite doing something about me without notice, she even had the audacity (did I say she is incorrigible? I did, didn't I?) to taunt me with her cheeky emoticons, clearly relishing at the prospect of knowing something I do not know.
So what did she discover about me? Obviously, I am not going to tell everything here but it does provide some sort of answer to certain questions which have been running in my mind. What freaked me more was that this Korean fortune teller hit bullseye for most of her answers! She could tell my sister with conviction that my personal life pales in comparison to my professional pursuits. I heard the recording and although it was in Korean, I could hear my sister chuckling as the lady suddenly said in a very loud voice, "Motte" when it came to whether I would have romantic interests. By the way, 'motte' (please excuse if the hangul romanization is wrong) is the korean term for 'no' or 'non-existing'.
You see, whenever people queried me on the issue of having a better half, I would always say that it is like choosing apples. Bad apples are easily available on the ground without us having to work for it while good apples require some determination and effort to climb and pick. Yet, this Korean fortune teller went one step further in pointing out that I was not even settling for good apples. I only look for those exceptional apples fit for Gods. Needless to say, bad apples are not even in my dictionary. And judging from the fortune teller's comments, I may not even settle down anytime soon. I'm sure my relatives and friends will gasp and shake their heads in resignation, haha. Unfortunately, I am not so sure as to whether the Korean fortune teller's words are strong enough to rebut those incessant 'And when is your turn?' coming from every possible grandmas, aunties and heck, even cousins younger than me.
Oh, and I'm supposed to be rich in my own right. I was happy with that (and my mind automatically starts to visualise a couple of Roberto Cavallis, Manolo Blahniks and Dior creations as things I can wear once and dispose) until my sister added impishly that it's my money but I won't exactly be the 'Hey, Big Spender!'. Instead, the Korean fortune teller said that my money will go mostly towards my immediate family members. Well, I can't say that it's a bad thing but the statement really caught me by surprise. As it is, my earning is pretty average but that doesn't stop me from splurging whenever the urge arises or 'SALE' rears its pretty ugly head. In fact, I thought I was going to be a certified Imelda Marcos (her having an extensive fashion collection, not her being a dictator's wife) once I have tons of money.
The Korean fortune teller also pointed out that what I'm doing now is what I'm destined to do. According to her, my line of work would involve a lot of reading and that I will never stop studying. I guess she perfectly summed up my job description where every brief received would mean reading the cause papers, case law and to figure out which part of the law can be applied to client's advantage or circumvent client's loopholes. While I'm sure my bosses will be happy to hear this (not that I will tell them anytime soon), it does confirm that I'm bespectacled for a good reason!
And at the risk of being seen as an intolerable vain-pot, writing is apparently my forte. I have to admit, I find writing enjoyable. But I do not know and neither will I confirm whether my writings give its readers the same enjoyment I have received in writing them. I could only hope yes. Judging from this blog alone, I will write when there's something that cannot be left unwritten or when the mood strikes. This blog is my sounding board which I hope have entertained and will continue to entertain the silent reader(s) out there, whoever you are. I do know that two of my silent readers are Mom and Dad who would read my entries no matter how boring or silly the topics may be. Perhaps I could do an entry on the silent readers sometime in the future =)
Anyway, Syazana did not manage to tell me everything the Korean fortune teller told her. And I'm not sure if I want to know either. Some things are better left unsaid. If I'm to know everything, that I'll only be settling down later in life or that I would have more money than I could ever imagine, wouldn't I be guilty of ignoring the beauty of the present for the glimmer of the future?
Most of all, how can I brace myself against an onslaught of information from a stranger who seems to know me from within? Even my blood relations and close friends do not know of what I've suddenly 'acquired' unless they were told in confidence. Yet, this lady could tell my sister (who had known earlier, thank God. Otherwise, Syazana would have freaked out in Seoul) that I've the ability to 'read'. I would find myself wanting to know more and more.
So will I be the cat which will be defeated by its own curiosity? I don't know.
Syazana suddenly sms-ed me out of the blue and asked for my birth time. Knowing my family's affinity for astrology readings and the likes, I knew what she was trying to do. It must have something to do with online readings which we occasionally indulge ourselves with.
What I didn't expect was that she actually went to meet a Korean fortune teller and read my fortune without my knowledge or permission! Well, she paid for the services but imagine your own sister knowing more about your fortune than yourself. That's harrowing, to say the least. As I told her indignantly, "We were supposed to do that when I visit you in Korea next year!". But if you don't know my sister (and most of you don't, whoever you are), she must be one of the most incorrigible beings to be born into this world. Despite doing something about me without notice, she even had the audacity (did I say she is incorrigible? I did, didn't I?) to taunt me with her cheeky emoticons, clearly relishing at the prospect of knowing something I do not know.
So what did she discover about me? Obviously, I am not going to tell everything here but it does provide some sort of answer to certain questions which have been running in my mind. What freaked me more was that this Korean fortune teller hit bullseye for most of her answers! She could tell my sister with conviction that my personal life pales in comparison to my professional pursuits. I heard the recording and although it was in Korean, I could hear my sister chuckling as the lady suddenly said in a very loud voice, "Motte" when it came to whether I would have romantic interests. By the way, 'motte' (please excuse if the hangul romanization is wrong) is the korean term for 'no' or 'non-existing'.
You see, whenever people queried me on the issue of having a better half, I would always say that it is like choosing apples. Bad apples are easily available on the ground without us having to work for it while good apples require some determination and effort to climb and pick. Yet, this Korean fortune teller went one step further in pointing out that I was not even settling for good apples. I only look for those exceptional apples fit for Gods. Needless to say, bad apples are not even in my dictionary. And judging from the fortune teller's comments, I may not even settle down anytime soon. I'm sure my relatives and friends will gasp and shake their heads in resignation, haha. Unfortunately, I am not so sure as to whether the Korean fortune teller's words are strong enough to rebut those incessant 'And when is your turn?' coming from every possible grandmas, aunties and heck, even cousins younger than me.
Oh, and I'm supposed to be rich in my own right. I was happy with that (and my mind automatically starts to visualise a couple of Roberto Cavallis, Manolo Blahniks and Dior creations as things I can wear once and dispose) until my sister added impishly that it's my money but I won't exactly be the 'Hey, Big Spender!'. Instead, the Korean fortune teller said that my money will go mostly towards my immediate family members. Well, I can't say that it's a bad thing but the statement really caught me by surprise. As it is, my earning is pretty average but that doesn't stop me from splurging whenever the urge arises or 'SALE' rears its pretty ugly head. In fact, I thought I was going to be a certified Imelda Marcos (her having an extensive fashion collection, not her being a dictator's wife) once I have tons of money.
The Korean fortune teller also pointed out that what I'm doing now is what I'm destined to do. According to her, my line of work would involve a lot of reading and that I will never stop studying. I guess she perfectly summed up my job description where every brief received would mean reading the cause papers, case law and to figure out which part of the law can be applied to client's advantage or circumvent client's loopholes. While I'm sure my bosses will be happy to hear this (not that I will tell them anytime soon), it does confirm that I'm bespectacled for a good reason!
And at the risk of being seen as an intolerable vain-pot, writing is apparently my forte. I have to admit, I find writing enjoyable. But I do not know and neither will I confirm whether my writings give its readers the same enjoyment I have received in writing them. I could only hope yes. Judging from this blog alone, I will write when there's something that cannot be left unwritten or when the mood strikes. This blog is my sounding board which I hope have entertained and will continue to entertain the silent reader(s) out there, whoever you are. I do know that two of my silent readers are Mom and Dad who would read my entries no matter how boring or silly the topics may be. Perhaps I could do an entry on the silent readers sometime in the future =)
Anyway, Syazana did not manage to tell me everything the Korean fortune teller told her. And I'm not sure if I want to know either. Some things are better left unsaid. If I'm to know everything, that I'll only be settling down later in life or that I would have more money than I could ever imagine, wouldn't I be guilty of ignoring the beauty of the present for the glimmer of the future?
Most of all, how can I brace myself against an onslaught of information from a stranger who seems to know me from within? Even my blood relations and close friends do not know of what I've suddenly 'acquired' unless they were told in confidence. Yet, this lady could tell my sister (who had known earlier, thank God. Otherwise, Syazana would have freaked out in Seoul) that I've the ability to 'read'. I would find myself wanting to know more and more.
So will I be the cat which will be defeated by its own curiosity? I don't know.

No comments:
Post a Comment