This Raya however, was different in so many ways.
For the first time since I was three years old, I celebrated Raya with my parents as the 'only' child. Syazwina spent hers in freezing Tasmania while Syazana attended classes at her SNU which is one educational institution pretty oblivious to Raya. Because my sisters were not here, I spent the night before Raya figuring out how to work my camera's timer so that I can take a couple of family pictures of my parents and myself. I heard before that desperation really works wonders and it worked for me. Imagine, I had the camera for ages but never really bothered to find out the camera's features. After all, Syazwina was always available with her camera and she could, without doubt, produce way better pictures than all of us combined. Once I've figured out that the camera's timer was not exactly rocket science, I then spent Raya morning (while Mom tried to cajole Dad into wearing his baju Melayu) trying to find the best spot to place the camera for the family shots.
Our 2010 Raya family picture minus 2. Just to prove that I actually managed to set the camera properly
My parents' customary Raya photo. The picture would have been better if not for Dad's tormented look, haha.
And unlike previous years where my house will always have homemade Raya cookies and delicacies for visitors, my mom and I did not bake any cookies or cakes at all! Going by the normal standards, that is pretty close to 'Armageddon'. This year, I had the great idea (but could be trying on the wallet) to bring 'Death by Chocolate' to our relatives' houses in lieu of Mom's usual cakes. In fact, we settled for cakes bought from Bandung and the reliable Pizza Hut in the event visitors drop by our house. Anyway, there's only so much ketupat and the likes that visitors can eat and we have to bear in mind that ours would neither be the first nor last house they'll visit in a day. Let ours be different.
Mom opening the cake's box. Looking on would be Mom's brother who is my competitor for chocolate goodies
Personally, this was the Raya where I actually wore traditional dresses (be it baju kurung or kebaya) for the first three days of festivities. Some of you may wonder why this is a big deal or why I even took time to write about it. Well, those who know me (especially my relatives) will remember that my siblings and I would only wear baju kurung for the early half of the first Raya before tossing them for something more casual (read: jeans, tops or dresses). It could be because I'm older or the fact that I've suddenly (due to circumstances beyond my control, whatever it is) acquired quite a tidy number of traditional dresses awaiting for reasons to be worn.
First Raya: Red/Maroon (the exact colour is disputed)
Second Raya: Go Green with Mom who conveniently said that she prefers to wear something other than baju kurung
Third Raya: Blue (well, similar tones to it)
I also took advantage of Raya by taking more pictures with and of my family (both near and extended) members. Before this, I would never be the one whipping out the camera or asking relatives to pose for pictures. Yet, having come across old family photos of my siblings and I stashed in others' collections and us having few or none for ourselves made me reconsider the importance of photos. I wanted to have something that I can flip through in the future and be reminded that we were there at that particular time. And that was what I did. During our Raya visit to my paternal aunty's house, I was rather sad to think that despite our close bond, there were never really pictures taken. Obviously, we visit each other often but somehow, the need to snap that moment in time would be ignored or left forgotten.
On a more serious note, I believe this picture was taken either late 19th century or early 20th century. Just see all those ladies with their dresses and hats.
Well, that was the brief (haha, could my writings ever be considered as brief?) recap of the first three days of Raya 2010. Hope you (if you celebrate Raya) had a good Raya celebration or if you prefer (for Malaysians who are non Muslims), a good long weekend. Since our return from Johore, I've resumed working, had a couple of medical leave (I blame it purely on the frightening amount of calories-laden food consumed within the first three days and the fatigue from non-stop visits to relatives' houses) and it is now the weekend again.
And everybody knows what weekend means during the Raya month. More open houses. More visits. More food. Can I stop here and take a breather?

No comments:
Post a Comment