After countless entries over the years (no doubt, some long lapses in between), I realised I've never penned a single poem. Thanks to this particular English Group on Facebook to which I'm a member and having read so many poems being shared by the ELC members, I began to think, 'Why not?'.
The poem below is mine, penned on one gloomy Monday afternoon. It's no Blake or Frost but what's a journey without the first step? Criticise if necessary, comment if need be. I look forward to more creative endeavours and hopefully, the time to produce them :)
The worn-out pictures stared at me
As I traced the toddler’s rotund face
Her smiles full of mirth and glee
Not a shadow welcomes my silent gaze
I do wonder about the passing years
As swift as birds flying across the sea
If anything was lost to unspoken fears
Was it after all, not meant to be?
The child grew with love and care
Shielded from gentle rain and raging storm
She dreamed of things, beautiful and fair
Never knowing where pain will come from
Adulthood beckons and happiness subside
She found herself strangely lost in despair
Is this her chosen path, she can’t decide
Her soul is an empty shell, nothing to bare
Was it after all, not meant to be?
I do not know, I cannot see
The mirror stood silent against the plea
I looked up and the reflection became me
Her smiles full of mirth and glee
Not a shadow welcomes my silent gaze
I do wonder about the passing years
As swift as birds flying across the sea
If anything was lost to unspoken fears
Was it after all, not meant to be?
The child grew with love and care
Shielded from gentle rain and raging storm
She dreamed of things, beautiful and fair
Never knowing where pain will come from
Adulthood beckons and happiness subside
She found herself strangely lost in despair
Is this her chosen path, she can’t decide
Her soul is an empty shell, nothing to bare
Was it after all, not meant to be?
I do not know, I cannot see
The mirror stood silent against the plea
I looked up and the reflection became me

No comments:
Post a Comment