While we were still studying in UM, my close-knit girlfriends and I made a promise (or what resembled it) that we’ll visit Sabah together upon our graduation. We have since graduated, years passed and that plan unfortunately never materialized for one reason or the other. I thought ‘Well, that’s it. I don’t think I’ll ever reach Kota Kinabalu!”
But hey, a friend cum senior’s wedding invitation changed that. His happy day became a good reason for us to finally see the land beneath the wind. Or so I thought.
Anyway, I grabbed the chance of having a good holiday in Sabah (and of course, attending the wedding reception) by buying my air ticket through a MAS travel fair which was considerably cheaper than its usual fare. Think it was somewhere in August 2009. I knew a short holiday is a waste so why not stay longer than the customary two nights to make the trip worthwhile? With that in mind, I opted to fly on 19th November 2009 and to remain in KK until 23rd November 2009. To me, it was a brilliant plan. We would have time to do some sightseeing, island hopping and attend my friend’s church service and wedding reception.
At that point in time, my gal pals wanted to wait for cheaper tickets so they didn’t buy. I tried to persuade them but they insisted that they could get better deals later. But three other guy friends were equally gung ho about flying to Sabah and they too bought return tickets from 19-23 November 2009. Later, I found out that another girl friend who is currently living in Penang will also be flying off to Sabah around the same time as we are. Counting on my girl friends to purchase their flight tickets in the coming months, it was set to be a fun group outing to Sabah.
Months flew and my girl friends somehow couldn’t manage to buy the flight tickets. The tickets became too expensive (no surprises there) and eventually, the discussions on our grand holiday to Sabah drew to a stop. I was disheartened but felt relieved that at least, one other girl friend is definitely going to Sabah since she has bought her flight ticket even earlier than us. Worse case scenario means we can get a twin sharing accommodation instead of renting the whole apartment.
Well, I spoke too soon. Days before our flight departure, I found out from her that her big boss (and I mean, BIG BOSS) is coming to Penang during that particular weekend! Big boss coming meant that she has to miss the trip. I was like “WTH!!!” I was not angry at her (obviously, she has to be disappointed for missing the trip too) but was indescribably furious at the sheer timing of her boss’ state visit and the way the planets are working. She can’t go and the maths couldn’t become any clearer. I was going. Alone. With 3 Guys.
Honestly, I was seriously contemplating whether I should forfeit the flight ticket (in view of the obviously lacking female companions) or do what is the only thing left to do – join the guys. The latter option was strongly supported by me considering that since I’ve told my friend that I will be attending the reception, he would have made the necessary reservations which will be a waste if I don’t turn up. I asked one of the guys who is going about it and his view was frustratingly simple -"Sure, they ffk-ed you. Pergi aje". I then told my parents about it and asked for their opinion. My parents being the open-minded people that they are were okay with me going alone. They knew I’ve bought the flight ticket and not to go because others are not going, in their words, is just plain dumb. Accommodation issue? No problem. Flash that credit card and I would have a hotel room for myself.
In the end, I flew to KK alone with the slight trepidation at the turn of events. At this point in time, there was no guarantee what other twists are in store for the rest of my trip.
[To be continued]
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment