For a person who listens mostly to english songs, I am currently listening to a song which is popular with those from Negri Sembilan or those with Minangkabau heritage (forgive me if I'm wrong =p).
It started with Abah (who's a true Seri Menanti boy) suddenly talking in his Negri dialect. Abah never converse with us in his Negri dialect but if he's excited, you can't help but get a few dashes of his strong Negri roots. We used to be amused whenever we return to Seri Menanti because there, Abah is not the person we know. Abah in Seri Menanti is a kampung boy who is nothing like the city guy we're used to. Mama and us would be left clueless when Abah talks to the villagers using words that were totally foreign.
Well, I'm now getting used to the Negri terms. In fact, I think I can understand the conversations although I can't exactly talk like an 'orang Negori' (a local). The tongue has unfortunately stiffened with the usual Bahasa and English words, no doubt thanks to intensive training over the years. Anyway, after a few words, they started to feel very familiar to the ears. And I was not wrong. Abah was reciting the lyrics to 'Apo Kono Eh Jang' (literally translated as 'What's up with you?').
The song is simply a conversation between a mother and her son who's pining for his lost love. The usage of indirect references that reflect the Negri lifestyle is in one word, beautiful. I don't know whether you'll believe me but once you get over the initial shock (as in the difference in style. The song is not exactly Black Peas material), it is very entertaining. Try googling it or go youtube and you'll find a song that may not be today's idea of entertainment but one that will last.
I've been listening to the song for the past 1 hour. Unbelievable.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment