Sunday, April 4, 2010

Dear Wolfgang

Dear Wolfgang,

When I was studying music, your name was included in the 'must know' composers. Unlike J.S. Bach, Beethoven, Chopin and many more greats of the classical music world, you were, in short, the boy wonder who left us far too early. Your tunes were as famous (if not more) as the mystery surrounding your death. In fact, my sister and I went in search of things that were linked to you like visits to your house where you were born (in Salzburg) and also to your house in Vienna near Stephensplatz back in 2007. We would have visited your resting place if we knew where it was exactly but since that was not possible, we paid our respects to your golden statue in the middle of Vienna.

[*personal note: I have taken pictures but again, am very lazy to post it. Will do when I find the time...and that's a big 'When']

And tonight, I heard your music being performed live by the Malaysian Philharmonic Orchestra in what was aptly titled 'A Little Mozart Evening'. Under the animated baton of the marvelous Mr. Christian Arming and the playfully passionate Mr. Barnabas Kelemen as the violin soloist, your Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, Violin Concerto No. 3 in G major and Symphony No. 40 in G minor were very much alive. Much as I thank the superb MPO for the breathtaking performance (as they always do, each time), I believe you have left us with an eternal gift in the form of your music. Most of your tunes are easily recognised (one is even popular as a ringtone) but not many of us appreciate that they were the creation of one Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.

The programme book for yours truly who was too lazy to do some prior readings

The ticket that admits one into an evening of Mozart's tunes


On another note (which has nothing to do with Wolfgang), I finally set foot in Pavillion Kuala Lumpur. Ok, I'm a loser, I know. Pavillion has been around for quite some time but I never found the time to actually reach Pavillion. That was one excuse. Another more lame reason could be that I could get seriously lost in exploring the terrains of KL roads. Anyway, went for a quick spin around Pavillion (since Fadh and I were rushing for time. Trip to Pavillion was an impromptu diversion since there was some time before our Mozart show). We ended up having a tea-dinner combo at The Loaf where I got myself a slice of Tiramisu =). Fadh got herself a mixture of pastries including what I believe is the famous 'Uh-hu-hu' delicacies.

No comments:

Post a Comment