Friday, April 16, 2010

Of all the gin joints

Bogart's line 'Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine' (which if you do not know, came from Casablanca - the 1940's movie and not the actual place) proved a little close for comfort for me yesterday.
After much deliberation, YPN, MAO and myself chose to eat at this restaurant in Solaris Mont' Kiara for lunch. YPN told us the lunch sets are fantastic considering the price is fixed at RM10 and we were looking forward to a good lunch. Well, since my office moved to a new location, the lunches have been great (if not damaging to the wallets. Imagine food at gourmet prices, sigh). In fact, it was only the other day that YPN, myself and two of the partners had lunch at this place which I believe is the only place which has the words 'Burgers' and 'Salads' plastered over Queen Elizabeth II's image. The restaurant even had the audacity to brand its menu as that of 'Royal's menu' although scones and crumpets are somehow missing from the picture!
Anyway, back to the story at hand.
I ordered the same western lunch set as did YPN and MAO. All were happy tucking in (and on my part, simply loved the strips of tender beef accompanying the pasta. It could be that I'm watching this great korean drama entitled 'Pasta' and hence, my craving for everything Italian and pasta) and chatting until YPN caused me to suffer sudden indigestion. The reason? She saw and informed MAO and I that two of our bosses with an unidentified gentleman were approaching our part of the restaurant (and what I believe as them not noticing us) proceeded to sit at a table exactly opposite ours! And in a true movie replay, I suddenly imagined Bogart saying to Sam (who was the pianist in the movie) those lines. Worst, I could even picture Bogart saying "Of all the expensive restaurants in all of Solaris Mont' Kiara in all of Kuala Lumpur, they walk into where we are having lunch".
From then onwards, our lunch conversations suddenly seemed guarded. The things we chatted about were not exactly scandalous or libelous for that matter but somehow, it's just an uncomfortable feeling when you know your bosses are within hearing range. And that fact is a lil depressing because lunchtime is when we forget (or try to) about work and talk nonsense.
Today, the three of us decided to head to Plaza Damas for a nice Friday lunch. The rest of the office were also headed in the same direction (minus the bosses) but in the end, our little group had lunch at this secluded wine-concept restaurant. The tomato soup was so-so but the spaghetti was unfortunately not that nice compared to yesterday's meal.
Well, at least I did not suffer indigestion today, haha.
And tomorrow is the arrival of the long awaited weekend. Am happy =)

No comments:

Post a Comment