Just a quick entry, really.
I find it extremely annoying when my mobile phone rings and the caller is only identified by "Private Number". For the record, my boss has also changed his phone number to the same mode but I guess I'm used to it already. After all, my boss has good reasons not to disclose his number and he would always introduce himself after the initial 'hello'.
Today, as I was grappling with a written submission that's due to be filed this coming Monday, a call came in and all I know of the caller's identity is merely 'Private Number'. Thinking it was my boss, I dropped whatever I was working on, used my right hand to grab a pen and used my left hand to pick up the phone receiver.
I said 'hello' and instead of being informed of who exactly I was speaking to, the caller immediately launched into a one-sided conversation. With my mind still engrossed with work, it didn't take much for me to be irritated. Ignoring whatever the caller has been saying for the past minute, I only said 'Who is this?'. My voice must have come across harsher than expected as the caller suddenly became silent. After a slight pause, the caller introduced herself and she turned out to be my cousin. Anyway, she requested for a relative's phone number and after giving it to her, that was the end of our conversation.
To me, it's fine if you don't want your number to be listed. Yet, it is only fair that you cannot expect people to know who you are if your number comes up as 'Private Number' and it's not followed by a quick introduction. As it is, the fact that my mobile phone shows 'Private Number ' has already denied me the right to vet my calls. Alternatively, I could choose not to pick up the call because I wouldn't know who it is from and this action may include calls from relatives with 'Private Number'. If that happens, then you definitely do not have the right to be angry if your call is suddenly directed to the voice mail box.
It's Friday night and here I am ranting away about 'Private Number'. Perhaps it is because I've had a long day at work and Saturday only means yet another day in office. Hope I'm going to have a good weekend or my next entry will just be another rant!
I find it extremely annoying when my mobile phone rings and the caller is only identified by "Private Number". For the record, my boss has also changed his phone number to the same mode but I guess I'm used to it already. After all, my boss has good reasons not to disclose his number and he would always introduce himself after the initial 'hello'.
Today, as I was grappling with a written submission that's due to be filed this coming Monday, a call came in and all I know of the caller's identity is merely 'Private Number'. Thinking it was my boss, I dropped whatever I was working on, used my right hand to grab a pen and used my left hand to pick up the phone receiver.
I said 'hello' and instead of being informed of who exactly I was speaking to, the caller immediately launched into a one-sided conversation. With my mind still engrossed with work, it didn't take much for me to be irritated. Ignoring whatever the caller has been saying for the past minute, I only said 'Who is this?'. My voice must have come across harsher than expected as the caller suddenly became silent. After a slight pause, the caller introduced herself and she turned out to be my cousin. Anyway, she requested for a relative's phone number and after giving it to her, that was the end of our conversation.
To me, it's fine if you don't want your number to be listed. Yet, it is only fair that you cannot expect people to know who you are if your number comes up as 'Private Number' and it's not followed by a quick introduction. As it is, the fact that my mobile phone shows 'Private Number ' has already denied me the right to vet my calls. Alternatively, I could choose not to pick up the call because I wouldn't know who it is from and this action may include calls from relatives with 'Private Number'. If that happens, then you definitely do not have the right to be angry if your call is suddenly directed to the voice mail box.
It's Friday night and here I am ranting away about 'Private Number'. Perhaps it is because I've had a long day at work and Saturday only means yet another day in office. Hope I'm going to have a good weekend or my next entry will just be another rant!

No comments:
Post a Comment