Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Whole 9 Yards

It started out as an ordinary Friday evening.


And what counts as ordinary is usually meeting my girlfriends for dinner and catching a movie. Well, those things happened (as usual) but the most important thing that became a reason in the last-minute change in my weekend plan (and the basis for this post) was what occurred before and after I met the girls.


What happened was that on Friday evening, I somehow arrived much earlier than the rest. As I took the escalator from Gardens' basement parking and made my way to the area that connects Gardens and Mid Valley, my eyes suddenly zoomed towards this one lady. Amidst the huge crowd of people walking past at a franetic pace and becoming a constant moving human barrier between us, I saw that she was totting two Lewre shopping bags. Not only did she have two bags but those bags were filled with shoe boxes. Being a shoe-holic and knowing very well that the brand in question is not exactly something the general public can afford to buy more than 1 pair at any one time, I became very curious.

With curiosity needing to be satisfied and time that is very much on my side, I quickly rushed to the store. And it was there that I was greeted by a sight that left me dead in my tracks. The shoe store which would usually be devoid of customers was now brimming with ladies trying out shoes. With boxes being everywhere and ruffled looking sales assistants trying to entertain multiple requests for sizes, it was like a shoe armageddon had taken place right in Mid Valley. I entered the store anyhow and saw the reason behind the madness - "Pre-Renovation Sale: 1 pair for RM30, 2 pairs for RM50".

I read the signboard once before reading it for the second time. In my defence, I think anyone in their natural state of mind would do the same thing. For a store that sells impressive evening footwear and quality shoes with price tags no lower than 3 digits (I know they are not Jimmy Choos or Manolo Blahniks but paying 3 digits for any pair of shoes I'm not going to wear often is not exactly good economic sense!), the sale was unbelievable. I wondered around in the store trying to find something which I would like to buy (although at that earth-shattering price, any reason is good enough to buy 'em). In the end (and after my numerous attempts to get my size out of the fast-depleting collection which was available), I gave up.

I then met the girls for dinner which I informed them ruefully that a shoe sale had taken place and by the time I found out, it was too late for me to do anything. We then proceeded to watch Charlie St. Cloud and I forgot about the big miss. By the time the movie ended, it was approximately quarter to 12 a.m. Together with Akmar, we then made our way to the ground floor for our respective parking lots. As we were coming down the escalator, I suddenly remembered about the shoe store and persuaded Akmar to just walk past the shop. Perhaps it was a small attempt to console myself but I wanted to show Akmar the shoe store that I was telling them about during dinner.

Although the shop has closed (as would any retail shop after 10 p.m. Seriously, why can't they extend the shopping hours?), I could not believe my eyes when I saw that the same ruffled looking sales assistants were still in the shop and they were busy ... restocking the shoes!!! I'm not referring to them merely arranging the few boxes on the floor which had greeted me earlier but it was way better. Although I'm standing on the other side of the store's grill (and a case of being so near and yet so far), I could see rows and rows and rows of boxes being stacked up against the walls. The scene was just beautiful and if only I could reach my hands out to pick out size 37... that would be perfect.

Akmar pulled me away saying it was already late and that we have to go home because we would be leaving for Malacca the next morning. My feet moved but my heart remained with the boxes. There was no way I'm not getting at least one pair for myself at such a ridiculously cheap price. With steely determination (or perhaps an unexplained bout of craziness), I turned to Akmar and requested her to wait while I ask the sales assistants who were still in the shop. I don't think Akmar believed that I would actually march up to the shoe sales assistants but that was just what I did. I knocked on the grill and having stopped them from restacking the boxes, I politely enquired whether the boxes by the walls were for the next day's sale. A female assistant nodded and I thanked my lucky star that a male sales assistant was also nearby. He looked tired but perhaps having been amused by the sight of me knocking on the grill in the ungodly hours of morning, he offered more information. Apparently, they will bring out different collection for each day of the sale and that I'm advised to be in front of the store before 10 a.m. to grab my size and preferred design(s). I smiled in gratitude, a plan already being hatched in my head.

I walked towards Akmar who was now laughing so hard. She swore that I must have been possessed for only a crazy person would actually do what I did. As 'crazy' is never an adjective one would use to describe me, I think I must agree with her. Anyway, I told her that we must simply make a stop in Mid Valley first thing on Saturday morning before we push off for Malacca. She said she'll inform the rest but in my 'crazy' mode, I fished out my handphone and immediately called another friend who is also going with us to Malacca. When Syahida picked up her phone, her sleepy voice did not manage to stop me from blurting "We MUST go to Mid Valley tomorrow morning" and "I HAVE TO GET MY SHOES". I ended our short telephone conversation by informing her that I'll reach their place latest by 9-ish so that we can race to Mid Valley and stake a place outside the store before 10 a.m.


Thanks to Dad and Mum who were game enough to drive me to the girls' house before 9 a.m. and thanks to Sya who was already waiting to drive us to Mid Valley, I found myself with a sense of excitement. Unfortunately for Akmar, she could not join us for our great 'war' but she promised that she'll join us later. As I entered the car, Sya who was demurely dressed in baju kurung (which was logical as we were going for Raya visiting in Malacca and Johore) must have thought my attire was improper for the houses that we'll invade in a couple of hours. Compared to her, I was not wearing baju kurung after having opted for what I called as my 'bargain hunter' clothes i.e. knee length shorts, short sleeve tee and slip-on sandals. My baju kurung and kebaya for Raya visits remained properly folded in my overnight bag.


With Sya equally excited, we found ourselves with other equally excited females (young and old from different races. If not for the fact that each of them represented competition and a stumbling block in my quest to buy those shoes, I would have appreciated the scene more) standing in front of the store or waiting nearby (some were trying to be discreet in not wanting the whole world know that they're bargain hunters or beyond-help shoeholics) while waiting for our watches to show 10 a.m. Time was passing by ever so slowly and we spent the wait looking at the sample shoes being put on display. Sya and I tried to peer and see for ourselves, shoes that would soon read as ours (but mostly mine, haha). I spotted a few designs which I liked but judging from the comments and finger pointing that were happening around us, others seemed hellbent on claiming the shoes as theirs as well! And it doesn't help to ease my frustration when I see the sales assistants were in no hurry to let us into the shop. I remembered making a remark to Sya as we inched our way closer to the store's entrance that we were really no different than sprinters at the starting line. While we may not have to squat and wait for the pistol to rip its head off, we do need to reach the destination the fastest to win the race.


When the sales assistants finally opened the doors, it was indeed a sprint. Caught in a rush of human flood entering the store, I was at first left dumbfounded. I know what I wanted but I was disoriented as others lined themselves up against the counters, pitting among each other in trying to get the assistants' attention. Sya and I were separated as every (wo)man was for herself, haha. She moved to the other counter while I tried my luck with the counter nearest to us. Soon, boxes were passed around and exchanged between hands. Voices were beginning to reach a deafening volume as each was trying to outdo the other. Everyone (except for Sya though. She is really one of the most polite customers in the frenzied rush. I even saw Sya standing as if there is a queue when others, had they been soldiers in a war, would unashamedly flout every Geneva Convention known to mankind) wanted to get their shoes and had to yell out their sizes to the poorly outnumbered sales assistants. Even guys got into the action, doing the dirty biddings of their prettier halves. Unless they too have an affinity for sandals and everything that glitters, these men were clearly there to be their girlfriends' attacking forces. Those with long arms and height also held an advantage over those who, well, were not that generously endowed with lengthy limbs or towering stature. Obviously I belong to the latter but I too had a secret weapon, the ability to squeeze my body into the smallest of space. I squeezed myself well enough to land a prime spot by the counter where I then found myself with another challenge.


That challenge was how to maximise the full use of my two hands and multi-tasking to the max. Imagine, the counter was already crowded with boxes of shoes so there's absolutely no space for me to place the shoes that I have chosen earlier. I could not leave my shoes unattended as some one else (those who are members of the size-37 fraternity) may just take a fancy and grab my shoes while I was looking elsewhere. At the same time, I've to keep a good look out for shoes that I missed earlier and try to get the sales assistant to bring me those shoes in my size. Somehow, I managed to learn juggling between what I have and what I intend to pursue. With my left hand placed firmly (also as a warning to others not to touch my stuff or else) on the boxes that I've already acquired, I used my right hand to point to shoes that are still not within my reach. And when the right hand goes unnoticed, that was when I applied a high pitch voice and plastered my face with a perfectly trained polite smile to get the sales assistant to give me what I wanted. Without me realising it, I soon had 6 boxes with me. I've won a battle but no General is satisfied with a battle when a war is at stake.


There was also the necessity to ignore my youth and petite size while trying to beat those old (and in some cases, bigger) veteran bargain hunters at their own game. I learned the hard way that these female vultures do not have, I swear they have none to begin with, any sympathy for fellow human beings. One old lady had no qualms to grab a pair of size 37 shoes when it was obvious that the sales assistant was about to give it to me. Another saw a shoe which I was holding and grabbed the last available size-37 for herself. I even had someone who conveniently whacked the stillettos' heel against my shin as we were vying for the sales assistant's attention. She did say a quick sorry but that was the extent of humanity. Thanks to her, I now sport a distinct blue-looking bruise on my leg. Hell hath no fury like a female bargain hunter, grrrr.


Once Sya was done with her collection (she settled for 4 pairs), I got her help in watching over my collection as I dived yet again into the race to get closer to the counter. I eventually found 3 new pairs of sandals but I did not manage to get another 3 which I wanted so badly. Two of those that I missed were out of sizes thanks to the earlier female vultures which I had described. The last pair which kept me on the brink of insanity was the chase to search for the left sandal of this beautiful gold beaded sandals. I even circled the store with the right sandal in my hand looking like an absolute fool. I now know the feeling of Cinderella's Prince as he roamed his kingdom to find the other half of the golden slippers. He must have felt like a fool if not for the noble concept of his one true love!


After nearly two hours being stuck in a small shoe store with lots of people, I have to say both Sya and I emerged unscathed. Although Julius Caesar may not have thought how his immortal quote would ring true for two girls like us, I wish to let him know (wherever he is right now) that he had the foresight. We came, we saw and we definitely conquered. Between us, we bought a total of 13 sandals from the shoe store. Sya even received attention from fellow shoppers when she unwittingly helped to bring all 7 shopping bags full of shoes as I tried to put my wallet in my handbag. Being the good friend that I am, I just let her get all the glory, haha.


So that was the story of how I went the whole 9 yards for shoes. Sya kinda got her vengeance against me by never failing to inform everyone that we met (in both Malacca and Johore, mind you!) how I purchased 9 pairs of shoes on Saturday morning. The number must have been unbelievable to the listener as they did not say anything. And yet, when Sya announced that she herself bought 4 pairs, people were often left gobsmacked. It was only later that we found out that the people who had the privilege of knowing my purchases thought Sya was kidding. Clearly she was not but that's not my concern. In my books, I got 9 pairs for a price which on a normal day, may not even be enough to buy one decent pair.


I eventually bought another 2 pairs in Malacca bringing my weekend collection to 11 pairs. Adding that figure to those I already have stashed away in my room or in my sister's room or in the store room, you may now call me Imelda.


p/s: you would note that I did not post any picture in this entry. I wanted to but taking a picture back then would mean one less hand
to guard my shoes. You do the math and in the mean time, I'll start thinking on when my next shoe purchase will be. After all, a girl can never have too many shoes, not even when I’ve run out of storage space!





No comments:

Post a Comment