We left KL Sunday afternoon, opting for a slow leisurely drive on the highway. Having stopped for a late lunch at the Rawang R&R (whose food is, in my humble opinion, is not that great. Well, I judged it based on my own selection. Abah and Mama seemed fine with their meals), we continued the drive and checked into one of Ipoh's hotels.
After a short nap (inter-state driving is not exactly one of my favourite pastimes. It's mentally exhausting to focus on the road especially when you have those who drive lorries/tankers overtaking their colleagues and reduce the traffic to a snail pace. I've also seen a small lorry which was basically tilted to one side and yet, managed to hog both lanes!), we proceeded to find what is according to Mama, old family friends of my late grandparents.
Mama calls them 'Aunty Ani' and 'Uncle Mansur'. I've never met them before (unlike other family friends who I get to see on a regular basis i.e. weddings and other special events. In fact, when I was younger, I got confused as to who were actually my maternal relatives. I thought these family friends were family and my real family members, well, friends. Haha=p) but when I met them in person, I believe time has not passed. They're obviously old (the husband is a sprightly and talkative 77 year old man. The wife is a friendly 70 year old lady who could remember what happened decades ago but whose memory unfortunately weakens in trying to remember what transpired barely minutes ago) but their easygoing demeanor in recalling tales of yesteryears were really endearing. In short, they reminded me of what my biological grandparents could be, especially my maternal grandma who passed away the year before my birth.
Tok Mansur showing Tok Ani a picture which he took of her and Mama. See, it shows that technology doesn't elude the 'young'. Either that or because Tok Mansur noticed I've been clicking away earlier =)
On a serious note, Tok Mansur and Tok Ani represent what I believe is existing in all cities save for Kuala Lumpur. The old often spend their twilight years in houses which now no longer hear the echoes of children. Their own children have moved to KL and only return during holidays. For the rest of the year, the two elderly people keep each other company. That fact itself is rather depressing. But they are not the only ones getting used to such a lifestyle as their neighbours are all old people with some even living alone in big houses.
Tok Mansur even made various comments which struck me as infinitely amusing. One of them was that Ipoh is a town that is easy to enter but hard to leave. What I thought was his opinion on the charms of Ipoh turned out to be his frustration with the road signs and funny streets in Ipoh that would cause anyone to easily get lost in the city! I love both of them...their comments were just entertaining, especially their reference to another family friend who despite the old age, keeps 'mencarut' (cursing) all the time!
We left their house soon after with a promise to return again in the near future. It was time for dinner and calls to my friend Akmar (who's an Ipoh girl) solved our problem. She recommended this place called 'Restoran Nasi Lemak Ayam Kampung' which we managed to find after more calls to Akmar. Haha. And where is this place? Well, find that roundabout with the water fountain (which in my opinion, is the focal point in Ipoh. Anywhere you go will mean passing the said roundabout) and head towards the direction of the Railway Station. You'll find a school on your right and a church (Gereja Elim, if I could remember correctly) and turn on the second turning on your left. Then, drive straight until you see the shop on your right. Obviously, I'm not good with directions so take the above with a bucket of salt =p
Tok Mansur even made various comments which struck me as infinitely amusing. One of them was that Ipoh is a town that is easy to enter but hard to leave. What I thought was his opinion on the charms of Ipoh turned out to be his frustration with the road signs and funny streets in Ipoh that would cause anyone to easily get lost in the city! I love both of them...their comments were just entertaining, especially their reference to another family friend who despite the old age, keeps 'mencarut' (cursing) all the time!
We left their house soon after with a promise to return again in the near future. It was time for dinner and calls to my friend Akmar (who's an Ipoh girl) solved our problem. She recommended this place called 'Restoran Nasi Lemak Ayam Kampung' which we managed to find after more calls to Akmar. Haha. And where is this place? Well, find that roundabout with the water fountain (which in my opinion, is the focal point in Ipoh. Anywhere you go will mean passing the said roundabout) and head towards the direction of the Railway Station. You'll find a school on your right and a church (Gereja Elim, if I could remember correctly) and turn on the second turning on your left. Then, drive straight until you see the shop on your right. Obviously, I'm not good with directions so take the above with a bucket of salt =p
This morning, my parents accompanied me to Court. From our hotel, we had to pass the roundabout and headed towards the Railway Station (which is situated near the Court). The thing about reaching Court is that I would rely on this particular shop called 'Chennai Potty' before making the turn that would eventually see me driving in front of St. Micheal's school. Two notes here - first, if Chennai Potty disappears, there goes my unofficial 'safe' route to Court. Second, St. Micheal's is just superb (as like other missionary founded schools). I love big sprawling old schools with Latin motto. They have so much history unlike the new schools which are nothing better than factories with no sense of legacy. If I had my choice, I would have preferred to study in those schools rather than the boring SMKs. As usual, I've digressed away from the main topic =)
Below are pictures of the recent trip and that of my earlier trip to Ipoh with two of my close Uni mates. The thing that I love about Ipoh is the abundance of her old whitewash buildings made of solid bricks such as the Court, the Railway station, the little coffee shops and the sprawling colonial bungalows. I like the fact that Ipoh's buildings have none of the modern glass structures which have invaded Kuala Lumpur. People tend to welcome modernity but what we fail to realise or appreciate is the beauty of heritage. What is the point of securing a future (or a semblance of it) when we don't have a sense of history?
The three of us in front of another whitewash building. I don't exactly know what the building is for (need to check with Akmar first) but if I understood her explanation correctly, it's some kind of Town Hall =)
Why did two girls try to cross the road? To get to that big building (which is the same building as the picture before) =p
Note: This entry was solely upon Abah's request.

hey you were in ipoh recently?:)
ReplyDeleteyeah, it's quiet, it's nice, it's home.
the ipoh old town you went to is a fave haunt of lawyers and if i m not mistaken, the second outlet to open.
court is beautiful, and SMI is beautiful too. it's got a history, and in 2012, it will be 100 years old . i studied form 6 there with Ai Ling.