Yes, the question is whether I can keep a secret.
I like to think that I can. And apparently, my friends think so as well. The individuals concerned would say that they are comforted by the thought that whatever secrets made known to me remain as secrets. Ok, that sounds like a compliment, doesn't it? I'm truly honoured by the trust placed in me.
The downside, however, is that if everyone tells me their secret grievances, secret crushes, secrets that they are tempted to tell but cannot as yet, secrets which may hurt others and secrets that are actually anything but secrets, where does that leave me?
I'll end up as one big balloon on the verge of exploding. I'm bound by friendship to lend an ear when it's needed and yet, am bound by personal principle in life not to disclose anything to third parties apart from the owner of the secret.
Another burden is when 2 opposing parties have secrets and both confide in me. I then become a Judge who may be inwardly biased towards one of the party and yet, unable to pronounce judgment to that effect.
On a personal note, I do wonder. Did I become secretive as a result of storing others' secrets? Or do I keep others' secrets well because I am secretive by nature?
And by the end of the day, who do I tell my secrets to?
I like to think that I can. And apparently, my friends think so as well. The individuals concerned would say that they are comforted by the thought that whatever secrets made known to me remain as secrets. Ok, that sounds like a compliment, doesn't it? I'm truly honoured by the trust placed in me.
The downside, however, is that if everyone tells me their secret grievances, secret crushes, secrets that they are tempted to tell but cannot as yet, secrets which may hurt others and secrets that are actually anything but secrets, where does that leave me?
I'll end up as one big balloon on the verge of exploding. I'm bound by friendship to lend an ear when it's needed and yet, am bound by personal principle in life not to disclose anything to third parties apart from the owner of the secret.
Another burden is when 2 opposing parties have secrets and both confide in me. I then become a Judge who may be inwardly biased towards one of the party and yet, unable to pronounce judgment to that effect.
On a personal note, I do wonder. Did I become secretive as a result of storing others' secrets? Or do I keep others' secrets well because I am secretive by nature?
And by the end of the day, who do I tell my secrets to?

No comments:
Post a Comment