First was the wedding reception that I attended with my mom.
As it was my mom's friend's son's (have I left you confused already? ) wedding reception, I obviously did not expect to meet anyone familiar. My mum was excited to attend because she knew beforehand that several of her old school friends would also be attending. I, on the other hand, was merely playing the 'escort' role in lieu of my dad's absence.
To my surprise (and horror), I did find someone I know from my line of work. I was having a drink when someone patted me on my shoulder. I turned around and it was a High Court Judge whom I've appeared before many times. I guessed we were both surprised at the possibility of attending the same wedding reception. The Judge started asking how I was connected to the groom's family and I explained the long-winded relationship. The Judge on the other hand, explained that she was the ex sister-in-law to the groom's mum's sister. Wow, that goes to show how small the world is. We would know someone who knows another person and before we knew it, we're connected in one way or another.
My mum returned to our table at that very moment and I then introduced the Judge to my mother. If that was not odd enough, the Judge insisted that my mom and I move to her table where the rest of her family are seated. So what started as a simple wedding reception became to me, an awkward social event. As I was very much aware that the Judge is still a Judge whom I'll appear before for my cases, I purposely chose to sit 3 seats away from her. Between her and me was my mom, the groom's aunt and an empty seat next to the Judge. The groom's aunt was surprised to discover that I am working as a lawyer. Even when the Judge herself confirmed this fact, the lady continued to say that I looked no older than a Form 5 kid. Haha...glad to know I could still pass off as a teenager :)
Yet, the Judge seemed bent on having a conversation with me. We were having conversation across the table when my mum suggested that I moved to the seat next to the Judge. I couldn't say no and found myself sitting next to the Judge. This new position was certainly a far cry from my usual position before the Judge in the Court where we were often separated by the Bar table.
Anyway, I found out many things about the Judge just as she found out many stuff about me. One fact that the Judge discovered was that I am the niece of someone she knows quite well. And thanks to my mum who was being her friendly self, the Judge also got to know basic details of my family (which I would have like to be kept a secret) and how I became a Coke addict from the young age of 4 months. I on the other hand, got to know among others, the Judge's brother, sister in law and nephew. It was also a sort of BBGS reunion because both my mom and the Judge were from BBGS during the days of Ms. Cooke who was the principal back then. For the entire period I was seated with the Judge at the same table, it was surreal.
Following the accidental meeting with the Judge, I sms-ed YPN and her succinct reply was 'Haha, you really have the luck lar'. Err...ok. Is it luck? I was just thinking that the cosmic powers were playing a joke on me. I seemed to be a magnate for these kind of meets. And it's the kind of luck I would prefer not to have!
Below are pictures of my mum with her old school friends. From the way they chatted, it seemed that time has not passed since their BBGS' days. They may have become mothers now but I could still see the schoolgirls they were once before.
My mum, Aunty Sabrina and Aunty Rose (the groom's mum). I think I followed my mum in the height department.
My mum with Aunty Khalidah
'Young' girls having a short chat before going off
My mum with Aunty KhalidahThanks to my mom's girlfriends who all said they're on Facebook (while my mom was previously blissfully unaware of the fb appeal) , I spent my Saturday night creating my mom's own fb account. The fb thingy was the second funny thing which happened today.
Well, I guessed my mom was pretty excited at the thought of finding all her old school friends on fb. And soon enough, I was adding people to her account as she rattles on the names of her friends. What I can foresee at this stage is that my mum will be glued to the computer during her free time for fb activities. So, I may have to take a short hiatus from blogging (for the first time, I actually have a valid excuse in not blogging) as I accompany my mom on her journey of discovering the joys (and 'stalkerish' characteristic of the typical fb user) of facebook. On a personal note, my mom has added me to her fb friend list so there may be albums of mine that would fall under the 'customise viewing', haha. Hey, I've to preserve my privacy and protect my mum's sanity, right? Mama, if you're reading this, please note that I'm only kidding ;)
In short, there are definitely stranger things in life to happen but for now, today was indeed a strange day.

No comments:
Post a Comment