21 November 2010 was the wedding reception of JJ and Rachel at the Grand Ballroom, 1 Borneo. As the dinner was only starting at 7-ish, I knew I had a lot of time on my hands. And the fact that I knew the guys (Auz, Wan & Pojie) are only interested in staying put in their CCs (I swear, either they have shares in the cyber cafe or they are seriously computer addicts), I have pretty much the whole day to myself.
And I spent it wisely. Despite having brought the necessary stuff from KL, I just could not stop myself from enjoying a spot of shopping. In the end, the damage was evident in 2 evening dresses (and I swore, I did not know at that point in time that the particular brand exists in KL), a few tops and few pairs of shoes. Before some of you shake your head and stamp me as a shopaholic, let me clear the air first. First, I know prices of goods are slightly more expensive in East Malaysia than West Malaysia. Second, I had the gut feeling that the dress I brought for the reception did not seem appropriate. My earlier dress was more of a springtime casual affair than an elaborate sit-down dinner function. As for the shoes, well, that's obviously a weakness of mine. I'm no Imelda Marcos but which girl can refuse buying when the particular brand gives 50% off for designs which coincidentally appeals to her liking? Precisely.
After being done with the shopping, it left me just enough time to get ready and wait for Ariel to fetch me. His car pulled up on the driveway and me being the simpleton that I am, tried to open the front door. To my surprise, it was locked and to my mortification, Ariel's lady boss was already seated in the co-driver's seat. Haha, talk about embarassment. Made my way to the passenger's seat and soon started chatting with his boss, Mary who's one nice lady.
The original plan was to meet the rest of the guys in the hotel itself. Yet, when we about to make our way, Ariel had to pick up Auz and Sahidin due to transportation errors. In the end, the Honda whisked 5 of us to the hotel whereby the rest of the group are waiting. We made our way to the hall and it was then that I was struck by a realisation. Obviously, I know I'm gonna sit with Ariel, Auz, Wan, Pojie and Sahidin but I totally forgot about the other 4 occupants of the table. Those 4 turned out to be 4 other guys (my seniors) whom I've never spoken a word to while in University. So, table 6 which was where we've been arranged to sit, was to have 9 guys and 1 girl.
Sahidin and Pojie trying to make sense of the seating arrangement
By a twist of events, other people seemed to have been booked for table 6 as well. In the end, only Ariel, Mary and I sat at Table 6 as arranged while the rest scampered to other tables. Need not elaborate on the food (which was superb, nothing less) or the beautiful reception (expected that anyway) but I do have to give credit to the following.
A toast to the beautiful couple, JJ & Rachel Padua
I simply LOVE the fact that - (a) the bride and groom made their way into the ballroom by serenading guests with their
rendition of the classic love songs;
(b) there was formality and yet, familiarity as the couple's first dance was immediately followed
by guests dancing throughout the night. Imagine having your dinner while being treated to a
spectacular display of dance from elderly guests (breathtakingly distinguished in suits and
their partners equally gorgeous in gowns) who were clearly enjoying themselves. I love this
part the best of all. I'm not talking about the obscene gyrating actions most of us are confused
into thinking as dance but the actual dances where every step is measured and every
movement is infused with elegance; and
(c) there was also singing by a professional band and members of the bride's & groom's
respective families (which to our relief, are good singers. Nothing would spoil a dinner more
than having some stranger howling or screeching in your ears using music as excuse).
respective families (which to our relief, are good singers. Nothing would spoil a dinner more
than having some stranger howling or screeching in your ears using music as excuse).
And in paying homage to the bride & groom's different heritage, guests finally clank their wine glasses to 'Cheers', 'Yaaaaaammmmm Seng' and 'Aramaiti' (I hope I got the spelling right for the last one!).
On the groom's request, our group found ourselves on the stage for a group photography session. You could see for yourself, the happy couple, 8 guys (again, Ariel was nowhere to be found) and errr...1 girl, haha.
On the groom's request, our group found ourselves on the stage for a group photography session. You could see for yourself, the happy couple, 8 guys (again, Ariel was nowhere to be found) and errr...1 girl, haha.
Yet, the quote of the night came from the groom's dad. He came to us, shook the guys' hands before suddenly realising my presence (Could not blame him given my petite size). And this was what he said 'Ah, there's indeed a rose among the thorns'. Hahaha, cliched but true.


No comments:
Post a Comment